- the officer below the master on a commercial ship
- a fellow member of a team;
- "it was his first start against his former teammates"
- the partner of an animal (especially a sexual partner);
- "he loved the mare and all her mates"
- "camels hate leaving their mates"
- a person's partner in marriage
- an exact duplicate;
- one of a pair;
- "he lost the mate to his shoe"
- South American holly; leaves used in making a drink like tea
- informal term for a friend of the same sex
- South American tea-like drink made from leaves of a South American holly called mate
- a chess move constituting an inescapable and indefensible attack on the opponent's king
- engage in sexual intercourse;
- "Birds mate in the Spring"
- bring two objects, ideas, or people together;
- place an opponent's king under an attack from which it cannot escape and thus ending the game;
- "Kasparov checkmated his opponent after only a few moves"
- MATE v MATED, MATING, MATES to join as mates (partners in a union)
Scrabble Score: 6mate is a valid Scrabble (US) TWL word
mate is a valid Scrabble Word in Merriam-Webster MW Dictionary
mate is a valid Scrabble Word in International Collins CSW Dictionary
Words With Friends Score: 7mate is a valid Words With Friends word